Housing Resources

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Talk to your healthcare provider or social worker if you are experiencing or at risk for homelessness.

Accessible Housing

Accessible housing refers to housing programs, co-ops, and organizations that provide housing that is accessible to people with developmental and or physical disabilities, or other barriers like addictions and risk for homelessness. Contact your Income Support/AISH/PDD worker or social worker for more information for supports available in your community. Use the Government of Alberta Website search tool to find supports and housing resources available in your community.  You can also call 2-1-1 or ask your social worker for a referral to programs and agencies you may be eligible for.


Accessible Housing (AHC) is a non-profit organization funded by the City of Calgary that helps match differently-abled people with the right housing resources in the Calgary region. People with developmental disabilities, cognitive limitations, and/or physical disabilities can apply. Contact AHC directly for more information, or have your social worker refer you:

Phone: (403) 282-1872 Fax: (403) 284-0304 E-Mail: [email protected]
Deerfoot Junction III Suite #215, 1212 – 31st Ave NE Calgary, AB T2E 7S8


Please contact the Assessment and Support Programs Referral Line at (780) 497- 4777 to speak to a social worker about your housing situation and access housing supports. All subsidized housing is waitlisted.


Low-Income Housing and Rent Subsidies

Low-income and subsidized housing options are administered by local communities and municipalities themselves, or partner agencies. Different programs have various eligibility criteria. Ask your social worker for more information on what type of housing you may be eligible for.


Calgary Housing Company • Calgary Region

Calgary Housing Company (CHC) administers rental and rent supplement programs on behalf of The City of Calgary and the Province of Alberta. You can apply for housing with CHC under two general program types - Subsidized Housing and Near Market (or Low End of Market) housing.

Subsidized Housing includes several different program types including Rent Supplements for private landlord units. Only one application is required to access these programs. Download and complete the application form, and submit to CRH once complete, along with all supporting documentation.

Please review the criteria to determine if you are eligible to apply, or call (587) 390- 1200 for more information and assistance.



Civida • Edmonton Region

Civida (previously Capital Region Housing) is the largest provider of social and near market housing in the Edmonton area. CRH manages both social housing rental units and near market housing rental units on behalf of the City of Edmonton. CRH also administers private rent supplements and private landlord rent supplements.

To apply for one of the various Civida programs, download the application form from their website, pick up a hard copy from the main office, or have the application mailed to you by calling Civida Customer Relations at (780) 420-6161.

Complete the application form, and include your verification documents, including proof of income and citizenship status, as directed on the form, and submit to Civida for processing.

North and South Zone

The Alberta government works with a variety of housing providers, including municipalities, housing management bodies, non-profit and private sector organizations, to build and operate affordable housing for Albertans with low income. Contact Seniors and Housing Alberta for more information or call 2-1-1 for assistance.

Supportive Housing for Seniors

Seniors with extensive care needs may be referred to a Designated Assisted Living (DAL) facility or Long-Term Care (LTC) facility by your healthcare provider. Affordable supportive living options for independent seniors with lower care needs can apply to live in a Seniors Lodge. Ask your healthcare provider or social worker for more information.

Seniors Lodges

Lodges are not a service that Alberta Health Services administers. All Seniors Lodges are privately run, and is one of several housing options for seniors. Below if a brief summary of seniors lodges. For more information visit Alberta Health – Seniors Lodge Program or speak with your healthcare provider or social worker for more information.
Seniors Lodges are designed for functionally independent seniors who can arrange, manage, and direct their own home care and be responsible for decisions about day-to- day activities, but might require basic hospitality services to maintain independence. You can search for facilities in your area here.

Assistance with personal and care needs in the lodge are scheduled and provided by Home Care, a contracted home care provider, or the site operator. Physician appointments, laboratory testing and Pharmacy services are accessed by the resident in the community and are the responsibility of the client and/or family/caregiver.

You can find the direct contact information for Seniors Lodges in your community by asking your social worker for more information, contacting 2-1-1, or accessing the directory located on the Alberta Seniors Communities & Housing Association website

Continuing Care

If you or your loved one requires extensive daily care (i.e. placement for LTC or DAL facility), please contact 8-1-1 to begin the assessment process and have a case manager assigned. For additional information and frequently asked questions, refer to the AHS webpage on Continuing Care access

Shelters and Temporary Housing

If you are experiencing homelessness, you may be able to access: a homeless shelter, a place to stay when you do not have a permanent address; or short-term supportive housing: temporary place to live with supports to help you move to permanent housing and live on your own. If you are experiencing homelessness, reach out to 2-1-1, or inform your social worker or healthcare provider right away. You can also reach out to one of the organizations listed below:

  • The Homeless Hub
  • Alberta Counsel of Women’s Shelters (ACWS) can be reached by telephone at: 1 (866) 331-3933 or online
  • Youth and Men’s Shelters: Contact 2-1-1 if available, or ask your social worker for assistance in locating the resources that may be available to you.
  • Government of Alberta website for a listing of various available shelters
  • Escaping Family Violence: Call 9-1-1 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger. You can call 310-1818 if you have experienced family violence. You will get help through the Family Violence Information Line anonymously in more than 170 languages. Or find other supports here.
  • Pets: If you need a place for pets to stay when leaving an abusive situation, there are pet safekeeping programs that offer temporary pet care at no charge. Find the nearest program through the Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).


The information on this page was adapted (with permission) from the references below, by the Cirrhosis Care Alberta project team (physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, registered dietitians, physiotherapists, pharmacists, and patient advisors).

This information is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare team. They know your medical situation best. Always follow your healthcare team’s advice.


  1. US Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration 
  2. Canadian Liver Foundation
  3. City of Edmonton
  4. Calgary Housing Company
  5. Civida
  6. Alberta Health Services
  7. Ministry of Seniors and Housing Alberta
Last reviewed March 15, 2021
Notify of

We would really appreciate your feedback to make this page better. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

How would you best describe yourself?
I found this webpage useful
The content on this page is easy to navigate
I found what I was looking for on the page
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments